miðvikudagur, mars 22, 2006

Here comes the rain again

I guess I made it over to the computer room during a lull in the rain. It was pouring when I returned to the B&B, when I showered (outside, in the loveliest shower ever known to (wo-)man) it stayed dry and now it's absolutely pouring again, like I've rarely seen it. Heavy rain has in fact been pounding on the islands for weeks now, causing landslides, floods and even a dam to break here on Kaua'i last week, killing several people.

Because of this, no hiking permits are being issued for the Kalalau Trail or Waimea Canyon. Ehemm... last year we hiked the Kalalau Trail without a permit, largely because we had no idea that one was needed until we got to the trailhead. Now, however, I don't think I'm going in, both because of the permit issue but mostly because of... the rain! I hiked the first 2 miles today, a popular dayhike, and the trail was both incredibly slick and muddy. This being the fine part of the trail, I shudder to think what the rest of it is like.

Hopefully it'll clear up by Friday. I'd hate to miss the hike into Waimea Canyon.

Engin ummæli: