mánudagur, mars 24, 2008

Memory lane

Some time ago I was driving somewhere around Ithaca when I heard a song by the 70's disco band Dr. Hook on the radio. The song is called "A little bit more" and was one of my mom's favorite songs when I was a kid. I love to sing and as a kid, I picked up lyrics to songs in foreign languages almost as easily as I did to songs in Icelandic, the only difference being that I had no idea what I was singing about as I performed along with ABBA and Barry Manilow.

As I heard that old Dr. Hook song again, after not hearing it for decades, I was surprised to find that I still knew almost the entire lyrics, they just jumped into my head as the song progressed. I also realized something that I most definitely didn't realize when I was seven and learned the song, that it is about a couple making love the whole night through, and the guy planning to just blow his ladyfriend away by his astounding prowess in bed:




Today I finally made good on my promise to myself to buy Dr. Hook's music on iTunes. While I was there I suddenly got a Bolivia-flashback, and to an artist no less than Myriam Hernandez:



She was the diva of overdone soppy ballads back in 1991 and her music, tied as it is in my memory to my year in Bolivia, holds a place in my heart not usually reserved for any performers of such music (well, except for Jose Luis Perales (watch this one for a good chuckle and, to witness a remarkable change, this one too), but that's only because he also accompanied me through my year in Bolivia). And now, I have more Myriam Hernandez on my iTunes than I'll ever listen to. Aye, memories...

3 ummæli:

Móðir, kona, meyja sagði...

Ludwig! Ludwig!

Herdis sagði...

Herdis! Take a shower!

Jamm, those were the days :D

Mike sagði...

lol - guess i kinda missed that in the dr hook song as well..... and i was a bit older when it came out - naive....

given the rest of their inpressive body of work though it's no suprise.... they are right up their with Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen....