föstudagur, maí 06, 2005

Le jour d'aujourd hui

Returned to the Cornell abroad mansion on the HPA campus at 8:30 pm after a long and successful day out sampling. Brought 4.5 liters of East Hawaiian water (that's 36 bottles!!) with me. The island is currently experiencing draught, so I consider myself pretty good. I think I may also have diminished the local mosquito population somewhat. Fortunately however, I did not have to defend myself from the wild pig that was grunting in the forest across from Hil'iwil'iwonk'im'ili river. Dear jesus, what sounds!

Down in Hilo I sampled some brackish springs in a beach park. When I was done sampling a guy came over to my car, where I was labeling my bottles and putting them in the cooler, with his hands full of gardenias. "These are for you," he said and asked what I was doing. Turns out he lives across the street and just felt like being nice. Drove home with the car full of the scent of gardenias and split them up evenly among the members of the Cornell household when I got back. All the girls got their gardenia, and even Chris got his fair share.

Then, when I got to the mansion, a fabulous gift for the flight home was waiting. Why is everyone so nice to me these days?!?! I haven't even mentioned yet the lady - a technician with an environmental consultant company in Kona - who took me sampling down in Kiholo Bay yesterday, showing me different sampling sites after she had visited hers, just because she felt like being nice. Have I done something recently to deserve this??

The next Thursday of my life will be spent entirely in Ithaca, NY. Sehr gut, Herr Fritz.

Engin ummæli: