fimmtudagur, janúar 03, 2008

Administrative assistant in the tropics

The New Year has taken off and looks set to be an interesting one. For starters, it's cold in Ithaca


and the ground is covered in snow. If that isn't a reason to party, I don't know what is!

As I may have mentioned before, my life as a grad student sometimes resembles that of a secretary or an administrative assistant more than anything. Sometimes I think that if I ever get this bloody degree, it should be in online shopping for airline deals (and dishwashing, let's not forget). I've spent most of today and yesterday shopping for airfares between Ithaca, Honolulu and Hilo, hunting down bargains on rental cars, and looking for hotels and applying for permits for lodgings in state parks. In between, I've been to the supermarket buying dishwashing gloves and brushes, so that I can continue the dish washing required for my research, and, erm, I also did some dish washing. Yes, science really is an uninterrupted string of landmark discoveries and intellectual bliss. Or not.

However, I'm not one to complain (ehemm...). From January 14th to 22nd, you'll find me on the Big Island of Hawaii. On the 22nd the dateline will be crossed, into the 23rd, on a Philippine Airlines flight to Manila. After three weeks of fieldwork on Luzon I'll return to Honolulu, spend 3 nights on O'ahu and then return to Ithaca on the 16th of February. This should be interesting. I'm especially excited about the days on O'ahu; they'll be all mine. North Shore, here I come!!

Engin ummæli: