mánudagur, maí 12, 2008

... and Paul was alone in the world*

It somehow feels like I'm alone in the world today. I went into work briefly this morning to start up a batch of samples that needed to be analyzed on the IC and while in the lab I had a little chat with a fellow student. Back at home I haven't seen a soul, except for the cable guy who stopped by to exchange my old broken cable box for a new functional one. The online grad student community that I participate in is eerily quiet, no one has responed to my task list there. Which is very odd.

I'm glad I have my knitting class tonight. Otherwise I would really start thinking I was alone in the world... or nearly so.

On second thought, the fact that I'm able to walk through a university campus full of people and still feel like I'm alone in the world probably doesn't imply that I'm very good at being in the moment. Or have I already become so attuned to the impermanence of existence that even if I see it all around me it simply doesn't register? ;)



* It seems that all Icelanders have read the story of little Palli (Icelandic nickname for Paul) who woke up one day to find his town completely empty of people. You can think of it like waking up in a candy store, only to find out later that eating all that candy only gives you toothache and stomach problems you'd rather not have to talk about!

2 ummæli:

Alisha Rene' sagði...

you aren't alone - I'm just far away - I give cyber hugs though :)

Gosh you are quite the reader, I read How do dinosaurs say goodnight yesterday, LOL

Herdis sagði...

Well, I'm sure you can extract much existential wisdom from how dinosaurs say goodnight :)

And btw, how DO dinosaurs say goodnight?