sunnudagur, maí 04, 2008

Science nerdism of the day: Hearing test

Speakers: Bose Noise Cancelling headphones.

Without my hearing aids:

The teen repellent will no longer foil you, but you can still hear some pretty high tones.

The highest pitched ultrasonic mosquito ringtone that I can hear is 16.7kHz
Find out which ultrasonic ringtones you can hear!


And with my hearing aids:

Or maybe you are a mosquito, you certainly can't be human.

The highest pitched ultrasonic mosquito ringtone that I can hear is 21.1kHz
Find out which ultrasonic ringtones you can hear!


When I wear the hearing aids, I hear 8 through 12 kHz fine, I don't hear 14.1 and 14.9 kHz, I hear 15.8 kHz just fine, 16.7 kHz I can't hear, I hear 17.7, 18.8, 19.9 and 21.1 very well but they definitely don't sound ultrasonic! The highest frequency I don't hear at all.

This is weird. I don't think that the hearing aids are meant to amplify sounds in the ultrasonic range... but they seem to do so for frequencies between 17.7 and 21.1 kHz, but the tone changes. Dramatically. Any idea why, anyone??

5 ummæli:

Móðir, kona, meyja sagði...

Herdís mín, ég er nokkuð viss um að þú ert ekki moskítófluga!

Herdis sagði...

You never know, mín kæra. Kannski er ég bara tse-tse fluga!!

Alisha Rene' sagði...

dude, that's crazy, I did it with Kaitlyn - she heard all of them.

Herdis sagði...

Wow, that's impressive! How many did you hear?

Nafnlaus sagði...

heyrði jafnlangt og þú með ofurnæmu ipod heyrnartólunum mínum.. hef ekki prófað án þeirra. Var bara "gegt" ánægð með þetta ;)