sunnudagur, júlí 20, 2008

Ok, rant explained

So, I'm pissed off.

Last Friday I bought a bed at a moving sale. Looking down a couple of posts you'll see that since I moved into my new apartment I've been sleeping on an air mattress because the airhead woman who lived there before me didn't leave her bed behind as she had promised to do. That was piss-off no. 1.

On Friday evening I moved the new used bed to my place, with the help of a friend from my department (side note: Ask for help, that way you won't have to feel sorry for yourself thinking that no one wants to help you...) and the two dudes that sold me the bed. No sooner was the bed in my bedroom and the two dudes had driven away that I noticed this disgusting, moldy odor and moisture stains on the bottom of the mattress and the top of the box spring. I tried to play Pollyanna and slept on the mattress that night, with the fan running on high to blow the musty smell out of my nostrils.

When I woke up smelling of mold myself it was clear that this thing needed to get out of my house asap. I called the guy I bought the bed from and he flat out refused to take the bed back and repay. I asked for a, partial repayment that he seemed not to rule out. He did however claim to be in the middle of something and asked if he could call me back in a little while. Stupid me said ok and hasn't heard from him since. That includes my gazillion un-answered phone calls to him. What a freakin' bastard! Piss off no. 2, and 3, and 4, and 5. And 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

My neighbors helped me to take the bed to the curb last night and I'm back on my air mattress. I hope some of Ithaca's (in-)famous scavengers will serve themselves a generous helping of musty bedroom furniture from my curb.

As for a real bed (which I'm craving, by now), I went to the IKEA site to take a look. I created a decent mattress-and-spring combo for 350 bucks, not bad at all. Tell them that I need it shipped to Ithaca, NY and voila, the price goes up to... are you all sitting?... 680 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taxes and, most important, shipping double the price! Why, oh why, do I live in the middle of friggin' nowhere where overpriced and stuffy vs. thin and uncomfortable are the the only mattress choices available?? Piss off no. 11-20.

Updated @ 5 pm: A thunderstorm with torrential rain just started. Gee, I hope someone has already taken that bastard bed off the curb already!

Updated @ 7 pm: Well, a message in my email inbox tells me the bed is gone off the curb. Thank heavens. That way I won't be reminded of Mr. skíthæll í fúlum pytt anymore.

2 ummæli:

Erna Massi sagði...

Oh.. bastard! What does a girl have to do to get a bed for herself?

IKEA sucks like that with delivery fees. I think it is not because you live in Ithaca because the same is true for Manhattan, which is pretty close to 3 IKEA stores... It is IKEA not you!

Good luck with finding a bed, have you tried other stores?

Herdis sagði...

I've checked the ones around here, and they seem to have either crappy futons (I'm too old for that s**t now) or expensive "real" beds, as in mattress and box spring. Oh well, I guess I'll just end up going for the IKEA contraption and their exorbitant delivery fees.