föstudagur, ágúst 01, 2008

Friday evening

and I'm in the lab. I just took a 40 minute break and went to the local Starbucks for some hot chocolate and non-work-related reading (Pan by Knut Hamsun, in Norwegian), but even so I wasn't really taking a break since I was just waiting for the machine to warm up the next sample...

The TIMS (thermal ionization mass spectrometer) is working and I'm running samples. They take about 4 hours each and I have about 40 to do before going to Iceland in 13 days so... I better spend every waking hour in the lab! But, it's kinda fun so I don't mind it too much. In fact it feels good to know that I'm making large strides forward with my work.

Speaking of which. As some of you may remember, we've had eternal issues with equipment here and this has caused me a lot of delays in getting my samples processed (i.e., squeezing data out of them). Now I've gotten the go-ahead to go to a well-functioning lab at Boston University in Sept/Oct. I'll be able to hopefully analyze the entire backlog of ~150 samples that I have accumulated. My host is a former Ph.D. student of my own Ph.D. adviser who now is a professor at BU. I can't wait to spend a month or two in Boston! How awesome is that??? Lot's of people to talk science with and ... ratatata... the birthplace of Ravelry!!!

3 ummæli:

Nafnlaus sagði...

Don't forget to drink some Sam Summer, while in Boston (don't get it here :( Great beer)

Herdis sagði...

You mean Sam Adams Summer Ale? I drink that one already, it's good!

Nafnlaus sagði...

yep, that's the one. They can't import it here, since ÁTVR only allows for 3 seasons - Christmas, Easter and Þorri. Weird...

Drink one for me, anyway!