mánudagur, september 16, 2002

Found these delicious brownies in my dad´s kitchen. He and his wife run the perfect Internet cafe, and it´s free of charge!

Took the TOEFL last Saturday morning. Had a hard time preventing myself from giggling at the instructions given to us by a tape recorder: "In the field marked 'Your name', write your name. In the field marked 'Date of birth', write your date of birth." The best, though, was "If your name, address or sex has changed since the time of registration...". I wonder how many of the TOEFL test takers actually undergo sex-changing operations in this narrow timeframe?!?! It sure would have made for a much better essay topic than the imbecile "do you prefer doing work by hand or with machines?"-topic given to us. "I prefer cutting my lawn with my nails because it gets me into contact with Mother Nature...".

Another wonderful thing about this exam is that one had to drive all the way to the NATO base, close to Keflavík Intl. Airport, to take it. The test center in Reykjavík has been closed down and thus the only place where one can take the ETS exams in Iceland now is the base. A.T.Mahan High School, to be more precise. This meant me, and some ten other unfortunate individuals, having to get up at 6 a.m. and drive in fog and rain and wind for 45 minutes. Convinced that my alarm clock would choose to die on exactly this crucial morning I slept only in 45 minutes intervals that night, waking up mortally startled and jumping out of my bed to take a look at the clock: "Phew, it´s only 2:30! Phew, it´s only 3:15! Phew, it´s only 4:10! and so on. Needless to say, I was like a zombie the whole day.

Now the exciting/tedious/depressing task of finding work awaits. Yippie!!

Yesterday was the perfect day. Met with my long-term friend Fanney at a cafe downtown for a brunch, then went to a girlie session at my friend Sif´s place. There were five of us giggling girls, a lot of good food, gossiping and, believe it or not, crocheting!! Inspired by this housewifely experience I baked some bread yesterday evening and it turned out absolutely delicious. Invited my sis over for a taste, she´s 15 and has the most enormous entertainment potential of all living creatures. She simply had me in stitches!

Engin ummæli: