fimmtudagur, september 19, 2002

Got this wonderful compliment from one of the professors who taught me at university yesterday. We met in a very touristy greenhouse in Hveragerði, he had been outing his wife and mother-in-law while I was showing Iceland to some tourists (including well-behaved Ed, Stína´s brother). We start discussing my plans for graduate studies, I tell him that I´m optimistic enough to apply to *peep* (a very prestigious university, I´m too superstitious to tell you which one). "Now that´s a very good idea," he says, "for someone who´s already reached your age..." His wife couldn´t help overhearing this mortal comment and snaps at him: "What, are you next going to suggest to her she soon start applying for a room at a nursing home as well?!!?" Then mommy-in-law grins broadly, looks at me and says: "You´re welcome to move in with me anytime, my dear."

This has made me wonder whether I´ll have to buy that wrinkle-cream anyway...

Engin ummæli: