miðvikudagur, nóvember 13, 2002

Am a great fan of the Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa, especially after I figured my Spanish was quite good enough to read him in the original language (and after seeing how terribly handsome he is ;).

While I was travelling in S-America last winter I fought my way through ´Pantaleón y las visitadoras´ (available in Icelandic under the title "Pantaljón og sérþjónustan") and now I´m working my way through a book called ´El hablador´ (translates as ´The Storyteller´). It tells two stories at the same time; that of a Peruvian writer who stumbles across an exhibition of pictures of an Amazonian tribe in a gallery in Florence, and that of the same nomad tribe in the Amazon jungle, as told by their storyteller. I haven´t finished yet but it´s a fairly transparent plot; however the plot is really not the issue for me in this book but rather the magical descriptions of the Indians and their world view. Highly recommended!!

Engin ummæli: