mánudagur, maí 02, 2005

Beach bum

Today, which was supposed to be almost no fun (only a 1-hr-beach visit) and almost all work, quite unexpectedly turned into an all-day tons-of fun beach affair. The reason: I brought an old and broken bodyboard with me to the beach and gave it a go. Whoa! Should have done that a long time ago. I ended up spending something like 3 hours in the water, riding every wave that would carry me back in to shore, and had fun like a three-year old in the process. Chris and Kane joined me later in the afternoon, it was kind of nice to have company on the beach for a change. Not that the beach was empty, it seemed that every human being on the west coast of Hawai'i decided to go to Hapuna Beach today. Except for those who had taken all the parking spots at Mauna Kea, that is.

This means that it was pretty crowded in the water. About half of the people had bodyboards and some were using them as surfboards. That was cool to watch. Even the small waves we had today (these don't come anywhere close to the gigantic waves you see surfers ride on the telly) can really kick your butt, I for one wouldn't want to be caught up in a 10-foot wave without knowing exactly what I was doing. For example, the wave can smash your back to pieces if you get it wrong. For another, og aðeins nærtækara, example, I point to the advise given in this point nr. 4:

After riding my first "big" wave in I was marching out to deeper water again and noticed some people looking strangely at me - turned out half my breast was out after my hot new pink bikini bra had been yanked up by the water. After that I checked my outfit after every wave, which was just as well because one wave totally pulled one of my tits from the bra, and another one, the biggest ass-kicker of them all, didn't only send my bra up to my neck but also tried to pull my pants off!

This reminded me of our field trip to Cuba many years ago. Say no more.

So, anyway, had a tremendously good time at the beach today. My left buttcheek is also finally getting its fair share of a bikini line (don't ask me why but it just hasn't been receptice to tan). Obviously I'm relieved. I couldn't have gone back home without a perfect tan.

Oh, and believe it or not, I actually got some work done today at the beach, in between the boarding sessions. Read some (stable isotope) geochemistry (which geeks like me find rather likable) and worked on my final project on diffusion modelling. Dugleg stelpa.

Engin ummæli: