mánudagur, júní 10, 2002

My wonderful friend Markús is coming here to pick me up at 5:30 tomorrow morning. My plane to Oslo is leaving at 7:35 and Markús's parents are flying to Copenhagen only twenty minutes later. They offered me a ride, which means that dad is completely freed from his parental responsibilities to take me to the airport; he was so happy I think he´d adopt Markús if he could. Of course it is a crime to send planes off this early - they should not be allowed to take off before noon!! Then we all could doze in bed until 8 or even 9 (and that´s a compromise for me, who´d stay unconcious until the afternoon if the world was according to me), drive to the airport and do some magnificent shopping in the duty free, stocking up on cured salmon and smoked lamb meat and other Icelandic delicatessens before heading for the wild wide world. In the present situation, all I will manage is to show up grumpy at the check-in and probably insult someone with my recently discovered semi-turette-syndrome (a most inconvenient condition I have developed, probably from too close contact with rugged males in the Arctic. The kind of guys who take off their scooter-dress and bury their heads in their armpits to check how badly it stinks this time, as compared to the stench yesterday and last week. Oh, the situation was similar after spending some weeks in a tent and a hut with my friend Kobbi, doing field work in geology; the only difference was that instead of saying rather insulting and embarrasing things to other people we totally lost all tact when it comes to burping. Interesting...). However, I just read from a very wise man that we don´t have to be wonderful 24/7. That´s a comfort.

Am actually dying for the wide wild world. Hmmm... I might be the only one who calls Svalbard the wide, wild world... although, coming to think of it, it is a pretty savage place. Or mildly humorous, depending on how you choose to look at it, I still feel a bit Clint Eastwood-ish with the 30.06 calibre rifle slung on my shoulder every time I leave town.

Have not started packing yet. Am a most unorganized person.

Engin ummæli: