mánudagur, júní 30, 2008

Really not good

Ok, I don't understand people.

First of all: I'm moving tomorrow. I'm not shouting it from the rooftops but I do tell people about it, people in my department that I see and work with every day. Not a single person has offered to help. How can it be that people who I consider my friends, who I've known for years, who know that I live alone, don't offer any assistance? Is it me? Is it them? My adviser gave me a ride to pick up the moving truck today and Shan is helping me tomorrow, so I'll be fine. I'm just a little bumfuzzled over this all.

Second, and that's the part that's making me feel so crappy about the first part: The woman who lived in my new apartment before me promised to leave her furniture behind. That included a dining table, some bookcases, a couch and a sofa table and, most definitely, a bed. Most definitely, I say, because when she called me to ask what of her stuff I wanted, she explicitly asked if I had my own bed and when she heard that I didn't, she said she'd then not sell hers, as she had intended to do, but leave it behind for me. I asked her how much I could pay her for the bed but she insisted on giving it to me. She wanted, in this manner, to repay the kindness strangers had shown her when she first moved to Ithaca. Well, I don't know what those strangers did to her back then but when I went to the apartment today it was totally empty, except for the couch and the sofa table. No dining table, no bookcases, no bed. There goes the kindness of strangers, let me tell you.

So, I guess I'll sit here for a while feeling abjectly sorry for myself. Then, I should probably start packing.

4 ummæli:

Móðir, kona, meyja sagði...

I'd rather rely on the random and abject cruelty of strangers. Fólk er fífl.

Really sorry to hear about this all. Good luck with finding furniture.

Kári sagði...

Herdís, ég á súper þægilegt queen size rúm sem ég þarf að losna við. Þú mátt fá það!!

En já, fólk er svo upptekið af sjálfu sér að það hreinlega hugsar ekki út í að bjóða hjálparhönd!

kv Lára sys

Herdis sagði...

Thanks, Stina. I'd say you're right.

Lára, takk fyrir boðið!

Móðir, kona, meyja sagði...

Jæja, vie getz?