laugardagur, febrúar 24, 2007

Icelandic Volcanoes

This semester I'm TAing a course on natural disasters. It's fun. On Tuesday, I'm giving a lecture in class about Icelandic volcanoes and the hazards associated with them. It's hard to know where to start and I only have 30 minutes. Gee, I could talk for a whole semester on this topic!

Among the more interesting things my Google-search has turned up is that researchers have used skeletons of people buried in the tephra of Hekla 1104 AD to investigate the dental health of Viking-age Icelanders.

My dad also dug up some photos of the family on a visit to Heimaey a few years after Eldfell erupted. Thanks for scanning them, dad! I think svei mér þá that I can see the geologist in me at ~4 years (little kid to the right, my brother is the little kid to the left) in this picture:

4 ummæli:

Sif sagði...

Elsku Herdís, til hamingju með afmælið þarna um daginn. Vona að þú hafir haft góðan dag.

Herdis sagði...

Takk Sif!!

Móðir, kona, meyja sagði...

Galæsilegt! Snemma beygist krókurinn, eða eins og sagt er, the crook bends early...

Hildigunnur sagði...

aahh, hvað ég man vel eftir þessum gríslingum :-D