laugardagur, febrúar 03, 2007

The last fieldwork

Well well well wlel wlle... no more fieldwork this time. Gee, I'm going home to Ithaca on Tuesday. Can't wait to see my beloved Shan and go skiing!

I did get to see Taal Volcano, the famous "lake within an island within a lake within an island". Very pretty and very ominous:


Another sampling crowd, on the shores of Lake Taal:


The Taal basilica boasts impressive vegetation:


For part of my fieldwork, I joined a fieldtrip for a class at UP. The professor took us all to his favorite snorkeling site one morning, a place that can only be reached by boat:


We lured the fish with stale bread and they ate it from our hands. This was my first (and only, I regret to say) time on the beach in the Philippines:


One of my favorite places in the Philippines has to be the province of Tarlac. The awfully awful and almost totally useless Lonely Planet guidebook for the Philippines doesn't even mention Tarlac with a single word. Good job, guys:


Filipinos are pretty smart when it comes to vehicles. The kuliglig is a hybrid between a horse-drawn cart and a tractor, extensively used in the countryside in this part of the country:


Horse-drawn carts are also used, although I didn't see many. This one made its way calmly along the highway, not paying the slightest attention to the cars:

Engin ummæli: