miðvikudagur, apríl 27, 2005

An almost unbearably exciting day

This has been such a wonderfully productive day. Or maybe not. Most of my samples from Kaua'i, meticulously filtered in the field (or so I thought), turned out to be full of dirt and crap. After some consulting with Ithaca I spent the bulk of the day re-filtering these bastards. Tremendously exciting.

While sitting at the kitchen table and pushing water through membranes with 0.45 micrometer pores I listened to my darling laptop. All these different songs sent me different places; back to the German Autobahn in mom's Benz of days long past, to the mining town of Barentsburg in the evening sun during a short stop on Nordstjernen, to my dad's spartan summerhouse on the shore of Lake Stíflisstaðavatn. How the songs related to these places I have no idea. Isn't memory odd?.

I have changed my plane tickets and will be returning to Ithaca from my exile a good week earlier than planned. Am happier about that than words can convey. Soon I will have reached the stage where the mere sight of a river makes me gag and in my remembrance all my friends in Ithaca have become probably ten times more beautiful and interesting than they really are. Can't wait to get back.

Engin ummæli: