þriðjudagur, apríl 17, 2007

Too close to home

A former postdoc with Shan's research group here at Cornell recently accepted a faculty position at Virginia Tech. He teaches a class in Norris Hall on Monday mornings this semester.

It was therefore no wonder that when Shan and his friends heard that the Virginia Tech shootings had taken place in Norris Hall that they got very concerned. They tried to contact their friend and fortunately the email came in: "I'm ok, I'm away from campus and all my students had the morning off". Phew.

This whole incident is so disturbing. I've found myself distracted from work, surfing the news sites, watching one video after another. The one where you hear the shootings made me absolutely physically sick.

Another friend heavily criticized the media for sensationalizing the incident and others like it, claiming that it only serves to fulfill people's voyeurism and give deranged people bad ideas. I tend to agree with him.

1 ummæli:

Móðir, kona, meyja sagði...

My condolences. I know how you feel. Went through the same kind of emotions around the London underground bombings in 2005.