föstudagur, apríl 26, 2002

All of you who understand Norwegian, take a look at this. Pure genius!

Finding a job as a geologist on the youngest country on the planet is no piece of cake. Why can't our silly government put a little bit more money into science and research instead of pouring billions and billions into keeping every little godsforsaken cluster of windbattered houses in the middle of nowhere inhabited? I have wondered and I have wondered and I cannot see the logic. Even putting science and research aside, I still can't see the logic. Why on Earth am I talking about this???

Anyway, my long-distance search for a summer job in anything to do with geology in Iceland has so far been utterly fruitless. What do the Danes do then?? Yo Svalbard, yo?? Am getting tired of the guidejob in Iceland (gee, unless I got a job as a trekking guide or something similar...), so might spend the summer here in Svalbard. Didn't plan to do that, but am known for other things than sticking rigidly to plans :) Still have a chance of getting a job here, and so might do just that. Was actually beginning to look rather forward to spending the summer in Iceland, working "normal" hours and having time to go for treks in places I've never been. That may have to wait, and I'm sure Iceland will be there for at least as long as I'll be around. My only humble demand is that if any volcano is planning to erupt or any earthquake is planning to strike, that they will either burst out in the latter half of May or contain themselves until whenever it pleases me to return. I'm sick and tired of always missing the fun!!!

Don't know if I'm going to Kapp Linné. The winds are too high for a helicopter, and my arm is rather tired after the training with the fysiotherapist. Don't know if it will do it any good sitting on a scooter and holding on for dear life for whole 80 kilometers. Any it's not the best weather for driving a scooter either, but these girls I'm maybe going with kalla nu ekki allt ømmu sina i theim efnum!!

Apart from negotiation talks with my boss about summer work the day's been spent putting diapositives into frames and prate skit at Busen, the old miners' cafe in Longyearbyen. Verí næs.

Engin ummæli: