mánudagur, apríl 15, 2002

I've also been meaning to tell you what I want to become when I grow up. I seriously think I finally found out.

Once I thought I'd become an astrophysicist and my mom freaked out. She's probably not the only mom who ever freaked out faced with a Major-Tom scenario, where it's her kid in the capsule. Then I changed to anthropology and then acting and then guiding, considered becoming a pre-school teacher for a while and also throskathjalfi (what the hell is that in English???). Dropped into a good-fun geology course on my way to becoming an arqueologist and have a BS-degree in geology today. However, I can't remember ever having wanted to become a hair-dresser (but then I never was "normal", anyway).

So, what is it? Spy? CNN reporter on the West Bank? Or a toilet-diver, the most derogative thing we could imagine when we very 5 and a little bit less silly than we are today? Nope. Nothing as exciting as that. But as I sat in the shitcold bus driving into Potosi in Bolivia, something amazing happened in my head. A river flows through town, a perfectly normal river, except that at first sight it didn't look like water, this liquid flowing in it, but rather like molten aluminum. The kids playing in the river didn't seem to notice, but a lucky little Icelander who is raised in her clean little Iceland got a small shock. Gee, there's a job to be done out there. And in that bus, faced with that disgusting river, it became very clear to me that it was a job for me.

Engin ummæli: