föstudagur, júlí 06, 2007

Ka-rasj!!

My external hard drive has been giving me some headache recently, since it won't imbibe more than ~10GB of data (although it is a 60GB drive). This started happening after I reformatted the drive and changed it from 2 partitions to one. My computer tells me that the drive is healthy and well, but obviously my computer doesn't know the first thing about hard drives.

Usually what happens is that when 10GBs have been copied to the hard drive, the back-up software freezes. If I then try to close it or terminate the process, the computer freezes. If I then unplug the external drive, the computer freezes. If I then go and paint my toenails pink, my computer freezes.

I talked to a tech at the manufacturer's who suggested it might be the USB cable. I suggested in return he/she was a moron. No, of course I didn't do that but it is a moronic suggestion. I'm sure you agree. Why would a USB cable refuse to transfer more than 10GB in a setting? Please let me know if you figure that out.

However, having nothing better to do (such as working on my Ph.D.) I did try to use another cable. Lo and behold, this one managed to ferry 5GB over before all hell broke loose. Not only did my computer crash spectacularly; when I restarted the poor wounded thing all my Firefox/Thunderbird profiles and accounts had been WIPED OUT. Is this the great IOGEAR anti-Mozilla crusade??

A few S**T and F**Ks later, I found that all the data is still on my hard drive or (God (a convenient time to assume such a being exists) thank them!!) on the Firefox servers. I had to reconnect my browser to the Foxmark server and I have to somehow retrieve my Thunderbird account and get all the mail to show up again.

All this, and I still haven't gotten my hard drive backed up. ARG!

What a pain. If it weren't for my fabulous optimism in the face of adversity and stunningly positive personality (ehem...) I would probably be crying by now.

5 ummæli:

Móðir, kona, meyja sagði...

Having you tried hitting the computer? Have you tried smashing it against the wall...no, that probably would not be a good idea...

Herdis sagði...

I've considered throwing it out the window of my office or backing the car over it a couple of times.

Another REALLY annoying thing: This old fart laptop of mine will not play movies in full-screen mode anymore. I can watch them as long as the player screen is small. As soon as I dare to go full screen, the image disappears and I'm in radio play mode. WHY???

Computers *sigh* They're trouble, all of them.

krummi sagði...

Did you use NTFS or FAT32 when you repartitioned? FAT32 only allows 4GB files at a time.

Herdis sagði...

I used NTFS, it was the only option my computer gave me. And I don't have any 4 GB files on my laptop either. The external hard drive is very small and my guess is that it got damaged by being banged around on the desk at home.

Móðir, kona, meyja sagði...

klukk